The construction of the Barracks started in 1921 and the first recruits arrived in 1923, and there they learnt the skills of seamanship.
During the WWII (1941-1945) the Naval Training Station continued to grow to accommodate the need for sailors. During the peak of the war the population reached 33,000, the most that the station would ever see.
After training hundreds of thousands of recruits, NTC was officially closed in 1997, and has since been transformed into San Diego's new cultural center, Liberty Station.
Barracks 3, where the Frida Kahlo exhibition is shown was built in 1923, when the Navy left the property, Barracks 3 was renovated by the NTC Foundation as part of the Civic, Arts and Culture District in 2012. The Complete Frida Kahlo is the first new user of the building since its renovation.
Here in the photos you see an historical photo of the inspection of the troups, Barracks 3 is the first building on the right. The second photo shows the original renovated rooms of Barrack 3, when our team visited it in September. The third photo shows the works in progress to build the walls recontructing the Blue House of Frida. The fourth photo shows a view of the Frida Kahlo exhibition in San Diego.
Jennifer A. Garey, President of Arts & Antiquities, Inc.